Thursday, 21 September 2017

YPGTTO: Adjusting Textures for The Flute District & The Violin District

Before I got to work on animation The Violin District, I was tasked to make some adjustments to The Flute District's textures and Gobo lights on the ground plane (modelled and initially textured by others on the YPGTTO team).



After that, I also adjusted some of The Violin District's lights, textures, and the digital set (modelled and textured initially by others on the YPGTTO team). I increased the saturation, added more blue components, added some additional detail lights, and added some more buildings to the set. I can now get into The Violin District and begin animating.

Minor Project: 'When' - Initial Ideas, Creative Writing Exercises, and Phrase Lists

Admittedly I've so far kept my Minor Project ideas behind closed doors, but I now feel ready to begin sharing my thoughts and ideas on this project (which I temporarily labelled as 'When' - this obviously may change). Dysmorphia was a very personal piece of work for me - and it helped me discover how to use Maya as an art medium rather than a mechanical piece of software.

Dysmorphia (film still)

I really enjoy working with Maya, After Effects and other programs, and the topic of Mental Illness/ internal conflict is something I still feel I need to explore and discuss. This is why for my Minor Project I want to create a piece of work that is even more raw and honest in hopes it may help people understand that everyone experiences the world differently.

To get started on this, I've been given a list of questions/prompts to answer as honestly as I can. Some were direct, some more abstract, and some intended to be more directly triggering. Some examples include "Tell me about a favourite childhood memory", "Why is Halloween important to you?", "Imagine your illness is/was architecture; describe its structure, its materiality, its exterior and interior spaces, its location, its functions etc", "What makes you laugh?", "What makes you cry?", and several others.

However, it was agreed that the prompts that led to the most interesting result were:

"You need to try and make someone else understand your relationship to food and to eating - but you have to use similes in order to do so - find the images that express the truth of your feelings.

You need to try and make someone understand your relationship to your own appearance - but you have to use similes in order to do so - find the images that express the truth of your feelings."

To answer these questions, I answered with long lists that I tried my best to write honestly and quickly without thinking (essentially I tried 'free association' writing). I felt myself that this was the most direct and honest response since I tried my best to not give myself time to second guess my answers and responses.

From here, I was given several other phrases to answer in a similar way regarding my feelings/thoughts towards other people's bodies, my relationship with my family, my idea of perfection, my relationship with hospitals, my relationship with happiness, what (in my view) it feels/means to be Anorexic, and what hope is to me. I have several long lists in response to this, and I am currently in to narrow down the lists and select the ones that are the most truthful, have interesting contradictions, and may be interesting visually.

From my understanding/what I imagine, I will aim to create realistic, morphing textures on some sort of object or abstract form to represent these phrases to achieve an emotional reaction from my audience (both positive and negative) to express the a constant internal conflict. I think my phrases will create a sort of poem that will be voiced over the animation (and I would like to collaborate with a music composer in conjunction with my own sound design if possible/appropriate).

While I'm not quite sure what this will be just yet, I have a few films and animations that I feel may relate to what I feel this may be or that I just find interesting.

Owl from Thomas Beg on Vimeo.

Friday, 15 September 2017

YPGTTO: The Cello District - Master Environment Pre-Vis & Rendered Stills

I've now completed what is required for to render the environment for The Cello District. I'm really happy with how this turned out, possibly because The Cello District is one my favourite districts in YPGTTO. Now onto the Violin District after sorting out some extra detail lights for The Flute District.

Tuesday, 29 August 2017

YPGTTO: The Cello District - Fish Test #1 & Shots 1 & 2

So I've begun working on the The Cello District's environment animation. Luckily I have some swim cycles so the character animation looks at least a little less blocky and awkward. I've also had a play with how the fish work since they were set up by others on the YPGTTO team (Emily Clarkson & Ethan Shilling). I think I'm at least starting to learn how it all works (they tend to get glitchy and weird when they first materialise), hopefully by the time we reach the character animation I'll have a better grasp on here. But here is a test fish animation and the first two shots for the Cello District...more coming soon.

Friday, 25 August 2017

YPGTTO: Viola District - Environment Animation (All Final Playblasts)

I've been quiet on my blog for a while, and that is because I've been hard at work to test out the animation pipeline (for the environment at least) for YPGTTO. I've been given the 'District Lead' role for The Violin, Viola, and Cello Districts. First I worked on The Viola here are the combined playblasts (with bits of compositing and VFX in After Effects). The character animation is only roughly blocked in so that part of the animation is not complete, but I'm happy with how it turned out even just as playblasts. Some stills of what the animation will look like is included below.