Friday 14 July 2017

YPGTTO: Catchup Post - Compositing, Digital Sets, Animation, & Modelling

I've only just realised that I haven't made a post on my own blog in regards to the CAA / ONE is More's YPGTTO project. So, I figured I'd make a large 'catchup post' and then continue to follow it up with regular, smaller posts.

I've been asked to help out with the creation of an animation of Benjamin Britten's 17 minute long composition The Young Person's Guide To The Orchestra. I'm working as a Digital Artist / Animator / Compositor for the project but I've been doing bits and pieces of everything (which is great since it's keeping me from getting rusty over the summer).

This includes some compositing tests in After Effects to accommodate the different languages that the animation will need as it tours Europe. I'll include one example, but there are more available both on my YouTube channel and on the CAA/ONE blog.


I also have been working on constructing digital sets. So far I've worked on The Overture, The Oboe District, and The Clarinet District (still in progress). Most of the assets used to create these scenes have been modelled by others, passed to me for assembly, then passed onto others for texturing or creating the pre-vis.

The Overture (before textures) 
The Overture - Stage (before textures)
The Oboe District (before textures) 

The Oboe District (before textures) 
The Clarinet District - Street Scene #1
The Clarinet District - Street Scene #1
The Clarinet District - Street Scene #2

I've done a few bits of 3D modelling including The Overture's lift (with working controls), map, destination board, dome, centre orb, and stage, The Clarinet District's bridges and river, and some extra stairs and a spiral slide for The Clarinet District. Some other bits I've modelled includes pathways, roads, and supports. 








I've also done a few bits of animation so far such as testing out The Overture's lift. The Clarinet District was also unique because the buildings had to animate and move, so I worked with squash deformers to animate them. I then built controls to allow others to animate them with ease.





I'm pretty sure that's all for now, but I'll try to update my blog with work related to this more regularly so I don't have such long posts in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment