Tuesday 4 October 2016

Character Class: Personality Transplant - Ursula the Pirate

For our first Character lesson, we went over some things we discussed last year such as how shape, colour, and the art style. We also discussed what it takes to make a character (who, what, where, when, why, how) and different archetypes such as the hero, villain, mentor, ally, love interest, and trickster. We were also told we could gain inspiration from actors (possible voice actors), celebrities, and other real life references, but we should avoid making caricatures. We then were given a personality (in my case, Ursula the Sea Witch) and then transplant it into another type of character (for me, a pirate). The aim was to create an understanding of the personality we were assigned then remake the character while avoiding making a caricature.


In my sketches I tried to capture the idea of her being dangerous, envious, manipulative and seductive. Even though Ursula in The Little Mermaid is considered to be 'repulsive' physically, her magic manipulates and seduces the innocent characters around her. For my design, I wanted her to also be seductive and dangerous, similar to how Artemisia was in 300: Rise of an Empire. I also tried to play on the idea of octopus tentacles grasping, pulling you in...only for my character I tried to portray this in her hair and coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment