Tuesday 5 December 2017

Minor Project: Substance Designer - Attempting to Create Ice #2

I've decided to return to Substance Designer to see if I could figure out how to create the diffuse for the ice substance I began creating by following a written tutorial. I tried looking over the instructions on how to do this again, but only understood pieces of it (I think part of it was meant to be explained with screenshots but they were missing) so I decided to try it out largely on my own.




Once I exported the maps, I rendered it using the mia_material_x shader in Mental Ray (rather than Arnold due to which computer I have access to) and I think it looks alright for my initial attempt. However, the white scratches didn't show up as white as I was hoping/expecting but I can always return to Substance Designer and adjust this.




For my first attempt on my own I think I did okay, but I do not know if I'd be able to get the light to shift and refract like cracked ice would. I'm sure there would be a way to do this, but I'll need to figure it out. Perhaps in Arnold I'll be able to depending on the settings and maps I use such as height maps along with normal maps. I also like how the material looks on a flat plane rather than a sphere, but again this may look different in Arnold.

2 comments:

  1. I think you may want to think about lighting this texture from within - to give it that light frequency we associate with snow and ice - it doesn't want to read as a 'glow' or light source exactly, but it wants to take on some of that translucency and sense of radiation/spread of light... or maybe this is an instance of the black background killing off some of the ice-ness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the black background could be it...it could be the overall colour of the ice as well which I can adjust. If it's not that then I could probably try putting a light inside of it, making it a mesh light, or creating an Ambient Occlusion map. There are also some lava substances I've seen online that I might download to see how they made the glowing effect since that may be a useful effect.

      Delete