Sunday 26 November 2017

Minor Project: Projection Test #2

After the first test, I wanted to see what it would look like to create 'screens' to represent different memories/emotions/experiences in my 'mental space'. Again I used several videos that my sister sent me and projected them onto different pieces of geometry. In this case I cut out several chunks of a sphere so I had screens but it still had a dome feel to it. The projections this time were set to planar and they took a little bit of rotation and scaling to get them to fit in the geometry. It was also fiddly because most of these videos my sister took using her iPhone in the portrait orientation, but I think that lends itself for some interesting distortion and makes me crop and select what portion of the video I want visible.

For the animated sphere, I used a combination of a squash deformer and a jiggle deformer (I forgot the jiggle deformer was attached to the sphere - so the result was different to what I expected but I liked it anyway). I also added a slightly reflective floor plane so some of the colours from the screen would have an effect on the ground plane. I really like how this looks and I prefer it over my previous test with the full dome. I think it is important to have some sort of negative space and this method would also give me the freedom to animate the screens moving if I want or to adjust their shape/rotation.




1 comment:

  1. I think the key thing here is to get a sense of diffusion and distortion and a softening of the edges of the imagery, so embrace the real world effects of projecting onto a concave surface and also thinking about manifesting the projector beams too as part of the non-space - and also thinking about how the surface onto which the imagery is projected might also shift/break and so on... here's just some reference for you :)

    http://jamesturrell.com
    http://www.anthonymccall.com
    https://vimeo.com/85212054

    I also think you might really chime with the work of the project artist, Tony Oursler:

    http://tonyoursler.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjR1X0a4e4

    You might also want to think if the 'containing space' in which this action is happening might be of some significance too - for example, you could decide that this 'dome' or 'sphere' room takes its negative space from the inside of the human skull, or the interior of some other object that has especial significance - so you'd model the interior of the 'theatre' in which everything takes place, and that 'interior' has some signficance.

    My sense of this is that you need to think in a very real world way about this project, even though the net result is going to be highly abstracted and poetic - so you try and mimic real world installation effects - so dust, smoke, lens distortion, flare, and likewise sound design etc.

    ReplyDelete