Monday 27 November 2017

Minor Project: Projection Tests #4 - aiStandardVolume

For these projection tests I wanted to try using the aiStandardSurface and the aiStandardVolume in Maya 2018/Arnold to see what sort of looks I could achieve. Initially I chose to plug in a cloud 3D texture to the Density slot and animated it using the Displacement channels. I initially went for a sort of smokey/cloudy look but I wasn't massively impressed with the results - although it is still interesting and could just require some more fiddling.




However, while I was working on that first test I accidentally changed the settings and got some strange results. I saved a separate file and returned to it later to see what this would look rendered. For this second test I slowed down the displacement as I felt the first one moved too fast anyway but part of what I found appealing for this experiment was how it appeared to be fragmented and shimmery/glittery. I'm not sure why this happened, but I thought it was interesting and worth sharing anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment