Tuesday 21 November 2017

Minor Project: Crystal Test using Arnold

Now that YPGTTO is essentially done - I've had the opportunity to download Maya 2018 onto my desktop computer. I'm holding off downloading it on my laptop for now as I do not have enough space on it and I do not want to get rid of Maya 2016.5 just yet since there are parts of YPGTTO that may need adjustments. I also struggled to get Maya 2016 working on my laptop so for now I'm going to use my desktop for tests that require 2018/Arnold features and 2016.5 for a few other bits.

For this test, I found a model on CG Trader so I could experiment with some sort of gem/crystal texture for the line Being Anorexic is having a precious gem. This isn't necessarily what I want this to be like in the final film, I mostly just wanted to try to get more accustomed to Arnold's textures/shaders and lights....I do quite like how this turned out though. I knew it'd have quite a bit of graininess but I didn't spend too much time adjusting the quality settings just yet. I was able to remove some of the graininess in AE though. Since I do not have any audio recordings yet, in one version of the animation I put text in just to see how it went with the clip.





Original (render from Maya)

Edited in AE (Remove Grain, Vignette)

2 comments:

  1. Wow - a photorealistic crystal... just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm enjoying Arnold! Although without it being in full HD/quality it still took a while to render due to reflections and refractions I think.

    ReplyDelete