Sunday 17 December 2017

Minor Project: Inverted Room Test

I decided to return to consider what I want my mind-space/non-space to be. While I like the dome/sphere, I did want to try to create a sort of 'inverted room' based on a significant location related to this project. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to make it, as I was trying to take influence from Rachel Whiteread, an artist who creates sculptures of create inverted architecture.





I decided it'd be best if I didn't overthink it for now at least and this was the result. I roughly modelled the room I remember and quickly UV'd it (I know it's not perfect). While it isn't perfect and I think it may be good to return and add some extra details, I think this is very interesting and I think I prefer it over a plain sphere. I rendered a quick test using Mental Ray and I hope to also take this model into Arnold so I can play with the atmosphere settings and casting some shadows (ex. like in this test) on the walls. 



2 comments:

  1. I missed these tests - apologies - it was exciting to see these - the camera move, the projections, the 'stem cell' - a sense of this space beginning to develop. For me, my instincts are such that I think it would be interesting to elide the meeting points between floors and ceilings etc, so the space has continuous non-representational quality - a non-place - it might be as simple as just ensuring that the room is essentially capsule-shaped inside, so curvature instead of right angles at the floor and ceiling points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll try that out and see how it looks :)

      Delete