Wednesday 31 January 2018

Major Project: Silk 001-014

After creating some height, normal, and specular maps I returned to my silk texture. I only really used the height and normal maps in the end, but I was glad I had the option to use the others anyway. I struggled initially to get my texture to look like silk rather than plastic or metal, but I think with the combination of Anisotropy and normal/bump maps I was able to at least get it closer to what I wanted.















Although I had a normal map made, I ended up experimenting more with Maya's 'cloth' 2D texture like I did in my previous experiment. I tried to keep it very subtle by having the bump depth very low and the repeat UV high so the fibres were very small and fine. I think this still needs work and I also think I'll try out some other height maps I made just to ensure this texture is working alright overall.

Original Images

2 comments:

  1. Just as I liked the sugar cube shape (i.e. a cube) as a break to the patterns of your film, I'm wondering if 'silk' needs to break completely too - it feels as if 'silk' is better conveyed by something less solid - so more associated with the image of a piece of silk fluttering or turning - more of a ribbon or a fragment...

    https://youtu.be/1C_40B9m4tI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3fYcCtPRQ

    somehow, I think of this tonally and in terms of simple beauty...
    https://youtu.be/Qssvnjj5Moo

    (the writing here - the music (used in the first piece above) - the emotion coming off this moment - this is a perfect moment in cinema)...

    ReplyDelete