Monday 1 January 2018

Minor Project: Voiceover Reverb Tests #1-6

I've returned to my voiceover so I could remove some of the background noise and overall make my voiceover sound more cohesive even though it contains chunks from different recordings. I selected various noise samples from my exported edit and used the Noise Reduction (process) tool a few times to remove unwanted humming and static. I found this in itself evened out the voiceover a bit since the sound of the humming is no longer audible, so any harsh changes from one recording to another isn't as noticeable (I hope at least).



I then used this base to experiment with different types of reverb. I want to experiment with some other effects and echoes to see what sort of qualities I can bring to my voiceover if I want. I suspect I won't choose any effects for sure just yet, since I'm unsure if I want to go for a sort of dreamy quality as it's in an imaginary mind-space or if I want it to be more of a regular voiceover. I also think there are some interesting in the 'Audio Type' selection under 'Dialogue' so I plan to play around with that as well. Here are some of the reverb tests that I've made so far after cleaning up my voiceover edit.

1 comment:

  1. I like the reverb actually - it's subtle enough not to feel like an effect - it just sounds 'analogue' and authentic to me.

    I've been listening a lot to Max Richter recently - I wonder if you've thought about musicality as part of your world? I'm not talking about a score exactly, but listen to these examples and perhaps you'll see what I mean - sustained, repeated, tense, moving, strange sad/euphoric/icy sound worlds...

    https://youtu.be/WaCib0B8T24
    https://youtu.be/rVN1B-tUpgs
    https://youtu.be/2Bb0k9HgQxc
    https://youtu.be/ZTvhR0lEtZM

    I think you could find a composer to respond to what you're doing here - not perhaps in some joined-up, continuous away (but maybe?) but as loops or 'swatches' or musical glitches that you can incorporate into your space.

    Just in terms of your 'bleach' simile - I think you need to think more along the lines of bleach 'stripping away' something delicate and soft and leaving something hard and exposed - think of it as corrosive as opposed to cleansing.

    ReplyDelete