Tuesday 16 January 2018

Major Project: Syrup 001-005 & Pancakes/Syrup Influence Map

Today I spent a bit of time testing out some textures for the line "When I see pancakes I see my Grandfather". I decided to work more with the idea of maple syrup for several reasons. One being I think that a shiny, caramel/golden coloured orb would be more appealing than the molecule being textured like a pancake. I also feel it'd be interesting to see what I could do with projections and transparency (so seeing the projections through the molecule). 


I also think if it's lit the right way, the syrup express the emotions that I want for this line in the poem (simple, sweet, homely, warm, clear). To me, maple syrup also reminds me of my time with my family in Vermont...the whole idea of maple, sugar, and autumn are all comforting to me and remind me of pleasant times of my childhood. I remember talking about real syrup vs fake syrup while making pancakes with my Grandfather. Overall, I feel that going for syrup rather than a pancake texture would be more pleasant to look at than a pancake texture and I feel it has meaning even if it isn't the pancake itself. 











I found it difficult to work with these tests, which I think is due to the syrup texture being transparent. Since it's in a large empty space (in the Maya scene, the sphere isn't near any walls), it's a bit hard to determine if it's correct since I can't see how reflections, refractions, lights, and transparency work together. I did add a deformer on to the orb just so I could try to get a better idea of how the shader was behaving, but I think it'd be useful to do more tests for this material but in the inverted room set so I can see how everything is looking more accurately. I also experimented a bit with putting a point light within the orb, but unfortunately I didn't save those images so I will need to recreate them because I thought they looked interesting. I think this material (once I get a better idea of how it's working) will be a useful one to test out different coloured lights/light temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment