Thursday 11 January 2018

Major Project: Gem 001-008 & Gem Influence Map

Now that the Minor Project submission is over, I returned to some suggestions I was given in regards to my crystal/gem. I created a quick height and diffuse map using some photos and applied it to the sphere. I applied a Frosted Glass preset on the AiStandardSurface shader and began experimenting with the displacement and the colours.


I wanted this material to resemble something more raw and crystal-like rather than something like a polished diamond. This is because I relate 'precious gem' to 'anorexia' I think of those crystal growing kits - something that is unnatural but is also beautiful and captivating. I also think I want to try out some materials that look more like a geode. I've also begin experimenting with animating maps in After Effects to see if I could make some sort of animated crystal map.

I mostly focused on colour with these tests, once I added in some colour to the scatter channel I think the object began to look really interesting. Out of these I think Gems 004 and 007 are my favourites. It was fun combining different colours for the scatter, transmission colour, and specularity to see how they interacted with each other








No comments:

Post a Comment