Thursday 22 February 2018

Major Project: Sugar Cube Animation Render Test #1

A few days ago I set up a render with my sugar cube to see how the texture worked in an animation rather than just a still render. I'm glad I've done this because while I am happy with how it looks in a still image from certain angles, I do not like how the animation turned out. To me it doesn't look correct... it doesn't 'sparkle' the way I want it to and the specularity looks odd to me. I also noticed there was an error with some reflections on the surface of the cube in the beginning of the animation. This may be due to the lighting or due to the texture itself (which is what I suspect).



I'll have to return to this and see what I can do to improve it, but I was also considering having this portion of the film be live action for several reasons. I feel that in the film, I use live action several times near the beginning and middle of the animation but nearer the end it's all CGI. I like pulling the audience out of my digital world to show that this is my real life.

'Sugar' is an important part of my 'hope' stanza because I like sweet foods and when I was sick I didn't allow myself anything sweet. I rejected invitations to go out for ice cream, have cake with my family, bake cookies with my grandmother, and I didn't let myself put any sugar in my coffee. I'd hide lunches that my father would make for me even if he put chocolate or cookies in it. As I improved and learned how to cope with my condition, I allowed myself to have foods that I enjoyed and to spend time with my family rather than hiding and avoiding. I think it may be an option to include some footage of some cafes that I visit with family where we tend to get coffee and sweet treats. I'm still going to see what I can do in regards to the sugar cube, but I think live action is at least an option I can consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment