Wednesday 7 February 2018

Major Project: Initial nCloth Silk Tests

After some feedback in regards to my silk textures, I began working with nCloth and different Fields/Solvers in Maya. It took me many attempts to create something that wasn't too plain/boring such as the cloth just sliding across the floor, or something that was too chaotic and made the fabric go crazy. I wanted something that had interesting movement but wasn't too hectic. I experimented with different fields and solvers, but ultimately I just worked with gravity and wind on the nucleus node. I did use a Newton Field to morph the polygon plane (what I used for my nCloth) so I could have the fabric already draped/flowing for its initial state. I did not want to have the fabric follow the Newton Field though since I felt this would look too artificial. I tried out the Vortex Field as well but I found that was too chaotic and didn't give the effect that I wanted even when I changed the settings.

For these tests I rendered out longer animations than normal, so I'm including the full videos via YouTube since the GIF files would be too large to include the full duration.











I tried different camera positions in relation to the fabric, one being more distant, another tracking the fabric, and the other staying stationary but closer to the fabric. I still want to experiment with this overall as I feel it needs more testing and tweaking, but I wanted to show my progress with this so far. Also to note, this has been tested and rendered in Mental Ray so this is not the final textures/lighting, it is only temporary since it renders faster and I'm using my other computer for Arnold specific work.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is going to work, Dee. I would suggest as you experiment more trying out different shapes - for example, the sequence could start with the camera looking at a complete flat circle of fabric commensurate with the other objects/entities in your space, but it catches a breeze and is suddenly free. The other thing - and this is subjective I know - that the red colour is so indicative of danger that it's hard to find it as peaceful/restful as the poem itself sort of requires. I'm happy to be shot down on this because the colour maybe deeply significant in terms of your network of meanings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I agree...I was thinking that as well actually. I think my initial texturing tests I was trying to figure out how to make the light scatter properly rather than the colour then with these tests I focused more on the fabric simulation. I actually tried to tone down the red in that final test a little bit because I didn't like how the red was looking. I was thinking of doing a pale blue or pale purple, but I'll probably put together some colour variations soon to see what works and to explain my reasoning behind different colours :)

      Delete