Friday 23 February 2018

Major Project: Wires Animation Update

Today I worked on updating my wires texture/object for the line When I see hospitals I feel wires. I used a similar technique I worked with months ago, where I created CV curves and edited them before extruding long the curve to create a mesh. I created a polygon sphere, similar to many of my other objects, and used it to snap the control points of the curve so the curves eventually took a spherical shape. I rebuilt the curve several times during this process, to ensure everything was spaced out the way that I wanted to ensure the wires animated smoothly later on.


Previously, I used a NURBS primitive to extrude along the curve but this time I chose to create a polygon cylinder using a script which created additional settings that allowed me to animate how far along the curve the polygon mesh was. This allowed me to make the wires look like they are snaking and winding around into their final shape. For the texture I used the Rubber preset on the aiStandardSurface shader but made the wires a bit darker since the grey faded into the background (it is now darker than the renders below, but I still like how it looks in these renders).



Below are three playblasted animation tests (not fully rendered). The first one the wires are already fully extruded and are not animated, the second has animated wires, and the third has completely different camera animation and different timing. Out of my three animation tests I like #3 the most because it feels sinister and lingering. I also feel as though the wires/shape of the wires resembles blood vessels or the human nervous system when other parts of the body are stripped away (medical diagrams or anatomy museum models).

Wires #1

Wires #2

Wires #3

No comments:

Post a Comment