Monday 19 February 2018

Personal Work: GEEK Festival 3D Scans #1

Over the last few days I've been working for UCA as an ambassador at GEEK in Margate. I had the opportunity to use a Structure Sensor scanner, which we used to 3D scan people so they could have 3D models of themselves. I wonder if this scanner could be useful in the future, as I know people can create realistic texture maps using 3D scans.

During some downtime I started to scan randomly, but I'd only give it a few moments to scan so it was fragmented. I also tried scanning people's legs as they walked past, which produced interesting results. I then brought the OBJ files into Maya and applied a lambert, connected an aiWireframe shader and connected in a ramp and sampler info node into the transparency. I then rendered a selection of my scans (I have more that I'll render too when I have some spare time) and I think they look pretty interesting. I think this scanner is something I'd like to experiment more with in the future both for crying to try and create my own 3D scanned textures and just for some interesting models/renders.








2 comments:

  1. I would of come down knowing you where doing that, that was kept quiet by CAA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a specific CAA thing...it was an overall UCA thing. I was just working as an ambassador like how I work on Open Days. I didn't know much about this event till I turned up really. But I was told our course was allowed to use the scanner if we think we can find use for it.

      Delete