Sunday 11 February 2018

Major Project: nCloth Silk Tests Continued - Round Fabric & Colour Change

After receiving feedback about my initial nCloth tests, I returned to my nCloth scenes and made some adjustments according to what was suggested to me. I changed the shape of the fabric so it was a circle and began the shot with the camera looking directly down so it somewhat resembled my previous objects/materials. The fabric then gets lifted and moved by a gust of wind, and the camera follows the fabric's movement. It took a while to get the movement of this fabric right. The fabric often rolled into a taco shell shape and would get stuck that way, which possibly could be because of the shape of the fabric (or something else on my computer was interfering with the simulation). However, I managed to to get it to look like this after a while of tweaking.




I also adjusted the colour of the silk to a light, pastel blue/purple colour. Blues and purples are my favourite colours because I feel they are calming. I think this shade matches what I want to convey in this shot more than red, but I do want to experiment with more colours still. This again was made in Mental Ray because I was doing other work on my computer with Arnold...but once I bring this into Arnold I'll experiment more with colour. Once again, the GIF for this test needed to be separated into chunks but I've included the full video as well. Like my previous tests, I applied a vignette, film grain, and motion blur effects as well as some basic colour correction (but no DOF).


Raw vs VFX

2 comments:

  1. Very soothing - great control. I wonder - if it's possible - if you were to have the flat disc rotating before it starts to move, so it's never quite static to begin with? So it has a sense of imminence - this might mean that the edge of the circle isn't completely perfect - so as it rotates you get a sense of it moving gently around - the equivalent of a subtle 'boil' - this sense that none of your entities are ever completely still is something to think about - it's a bit like ensuring that a character is never truly motionless in a pose, but there's a sense of energy and potential still coming off of it... does that make sense?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that makes sense :) I'll return to the scene and see what I can do to achieve something like that.

      Delete