Saturday 24 February 2018

Major Project: Static Mesh Light Test #1

Now that I know I can successfully create static in my final digital set, I wanted to see if I could integrate it into the scene more. To do this, I decided to convert the orb into a mesh light and plugged the TV static footage into the light so the brightness would change depending on what the static was doing. This means that the light from the static will flash and influence the lighting in the room as well as the atmosphere. For this shot I have the mesh not visible and composited the orb back in as I have done previously so I could have better control over it.

Initially I didn't like how this turned out, but after tweaking the brightness in AE (in the initial render the flashes were far too bright I think) I liked the results much more. I want the light to influence the environment, but not so that it's too distracting. As mentioned in the 'mesh lights' tutorial, there is a lot of noise cleanup needed with a mesh light...right now this test looks very grainy but I didn't want  the render to take too long. There are also some odd shadows on the wall in the beginning of the shot that I have to investigate. I'll continue to experiment with this as I think the flashes could really enhance this shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment