Tuesday 13 February 2018

Major Project: The Room Playblasts & Animation #1

As mentioned previously, some lines in my poem cannot really be represented by specific objects or textures. In addition to live action footage, I needed to put together some environment animation to occupy those specific shots. During my discussion yesterday, it was also suggested to have some time in the beginning of the film where the audience is 'left' in the room before the actual poem starts - so the viewer can see and experience the room itself before the film starts. 

For these three playblasted shots, I put in a temporary piece of geometry to represent the lights since you can't see where the light really is in the playblasts. The first shot I tried out a contra-zoom-like effect which I thought looked really interesting, especially since in the final render the bricks would be 'breathing' as well. The light is also flickering in this shot, which is difficult to see, but I was more focusing on the camera movement in this instance. 


The second test I wanted to focus on the entrance doorway (although people many not know that's what it is). I placed the camera low on the ground, then had it face up towards the ceiling more. I did this to try and make that specific door feel more intimidating, and to also try and represent that there is no exit or escape (no seams, just bricks).


For the third test I wanted to try having the camera higher up, starting from a somewhat awkward angle almost as if it was hiding in the corner, then having it turn and show the majority of the space. I had the camera roll to the side to try and make it feel more uneasy and 'off'. I also feel this particular shot is like security camera footage.


It was also suggested that the film begins pure white, then the camera zooms out, revealing the white is from the light on the ceiling. This could then be reversed at the end, so the film ends with the camera zooming back in on the blinding lights. I really liked this idea so I began working with environment and camera animation for these shots. I had to fully render this shot since I needed the lights to be visible, but I'm glad I did that because the subtle 'breathing' bricks can also be seen. I think some shots I may exaggerate the brick's movement more.

No comments:

Post a Comment