Thursday 27 April 2017

Eating Disorder & Mental Illness Talk at Anglo European School

Today I visited my old Sixth Form - Anglo European School - to talk to the students about my experience with mental illness. I've talked about this two other times, and it is never easy - in fact it's one of the most difficult things I've done (despite choosing to do it multiple times). I wanted to share this as it directly relates to my Adaptation B project which is about my Eating Disorder, Anxiety, and struggles with Body Dysmorphia. During this presentation I discussed my raw personal story, some facts about mental illnesses, and different methods of coping.


I talked about how I've used my art in the past to cope and express my feelings and that I'm still doing it now in university with my Adaptation B project. I think I left an impact on the students, considering none of them seemed to speak, move or blink which was quite intimidating to be honest. Considering a few students and teachers came up to me afterwards to thank me, I'd view it as a success.



2 comments:

  1. great stuff, Dee - must have taken some guts, so well done - a really useful experience for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a wobbly voice every once in a while but if it helps even just one person it's worth it to me.

      Delete