Saturday 29 April 2017

Adaptation B: Camera Movement & After Effects Light Burst Test

Last night I set up a quick render with a still model and some camera movement. It's not as high quality as I've been rendering for stills, I need to go back and try to make some adjustments so I can lower the render time while keeping the qualities that I like such as the reflection on the floor. Today I plan on returning to my skin material now that I understand how it works better to see if I can improve the look. I also hope to start making some playblasts with my models as well. I think a combo of distance shots with some close ups of the bodies so I can cut between the two would be interesting...I'll see what sorts of things I can do with it. 



After I rendered out my camera movement test, I wanted to bring my scene into After Effects and see if I could add some sort of volumetric light ray(s) to the scene to give it more atmosphere. I've done something similar for my Fantastic Voyage project, but as this is a spot light rather than underwater light rays I wanted to try something different. To do this, I created a white solid, and made an oval mask so I just had a white oval in the scene. I then added the effect 'CC Light Burst) and adjusted the center, light rays, and position of the oval so they angled in the correct position. 


I then added some Fractal Noise and adjusted those settings so it was more detailed and felt more like dust rather than an artificial gradient for a light ray. I then pre-composed the light ray and on the new composition, I made a mask around my model and across the scene since it's casting a shadow. I also masked out any other bits that were incorrect. I then feathered this and made a few readjustments before key-framing the light's opacity with how the lights illuminate in my Maya scene. I then had to key the Mask Path so I could scale and position my mask with the position of my model. I like how the light looks and I think it adds to the scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment