Friday 24 March 2017

Adaptation B: Post Pitch Reflection

I'm quite happy with how the Pitch went, I was somewhat nervous how my project would be received at first since I find it sometimes difficult to explain due to my personal connection to it. However, I think I did an alright job explaining it and people seemed to be interested in it. I was surprised to get some of the feedback that I have in regards to already sort of 'being there' with my ideas. I'm excited to progress and see what else I can do to it to make it more 'pure' to the meaning behind it all. I first plan to go back into the file where I made this broken figure to see what rotates/translates I connected the Audio Wave Node to and what other settings I put onto it.




I was told to have a look into what sounds I'm actually plugging into my models. I was originally turning my old artwork into sound but I've been directed to try and find a pure/true sound to match the sort of theme around my generic, 'perfect' female body that I've broken. I've been thinking about different sounds that cause me to become anxious or have panic attacks which consequently alters my mood and causes my body dysmorphia to flare up worse than normal. I think over the next few days I'm going to make a list of these then I'm going to put myself in these situations - despite it being obviously uncomfortable for me - and record the audio to plug into my models. I think this will be an interesting process and add another layer of meaning to my project.

It was also suggested to me to instead of applying decorative textures onto my models (because that is me forcing an aesthetic upon them when I shouldn't be), maybe I could apply a realistic skin texture to them. I'm very interested in doing this because if I'm able to make these broken mannequin-like figures have realistic human skin on them, I think it'll enhance the uncanny effect. I think it'll also further exhibit the idea that people with body dysmorphia (from my experience at least) are somewhat disconnected to their physical bodies. I think it'll make the broken models more accurate to what I'm doing and hopefully provoke the emotions in the audience that I'm trying to do.

Art by: Ron Mueck, Xooang Choi, Evan Penny, Jamie Salmon, and Sam Jinks 

I also am going to being really looking into VR more. I'm a bit concerned with what I can do in the time given...I'd like to try and use Unity because from what I remember with my conversation with JJ, I'd be able to script certain things to trigger (such as sound effects or a model moving/remaining static) depending on where the person is looking. However, I know that models must be made in a specific way for gaming so I'm unsure if the model I have downloaded is fit for this purpose or not and if not I'm unsure if I'd have time to model one of my own along with what I want to do with sound and texturing. I know I can use Sketchfab for VR as I've been doing that I'd just need to figure out how to animate things if I wanted to do that. I've also been searching for other alternate options to Unity I could do to render out a VR animation in Maya which I may do some quick tests with soon just to see how it works. I also know that Vimeo recently came out with VR/360 video compatibility like Youtube and (I think) Sketchfab has recently enabled a direct from connection from Unity to Sketchfab.





Overall, I'm happy with how the Pitch went and how my project is going. I think I will need a tutorial soon to help out with some technical things such as possibly using something to plug the Audio Wave Node into to give more varied results, how to create realistic skin, and what I should/could do for VR.

No comments:

Post a Comment