Wednesday 14 March 2018

Major Project: Sponge Animation Tests #1-3

I've continued to wrestle with the animation for the sponge. I thought I was going to be happy with the first test, but I wasn't satisfied with how it looked as I felt it was too bland. The second test I liked better, but I noticed the displacement map doing something odd in the first few seconds despite there being no animation on the displacement during those frames and the map is a still image (while other objects such as bleach I use an image sequence). I tried taking out the map, but then the results were different and I didn't like them as much.

So, for the third test I adjusted the timing so the camera focused on the bricks for longer until the sponge pops into the right position. I'm much happier with that test, but I still want to see if I can enhance the shot by adding some very subtle animation to the scale of the sponge so it grows larger, shrinks a little, then grows larger again. That is currently rendering so I'll be posting an update on this shot tomorrow.




2 comments:

  1. Yes - I like the last shots better in terms of the way in which we encounter the entity - though there's something suffocating about the way the sponge grows to chokeout the space in the first shot - can you combine the two approaches - best of both worlds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'll give that a try after I see what happens with the shot that is currently rendering...I may get that result anyway!

      Delete